A RETROSPECTIVE OF YURIY ILLIENKO AND IVAN MYKOLAYCHUK FILMS IN ODESA
A retrospective screening of films from prominent Ukrainian filmmakers Yuriy Illienko and Ivan Mykolaychuk will take place on June 25-30, 2016, at Odesa Film Studio (the Inoteatr Cinema).
Oleksandr Dovzhenko National Centre will demonstrate:
- Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors (1964), dir. S. Parajanov, starring I. Mykolaychuk
- The Eve of Ivan Kupalo (1968), dir. Yu. Illienko
- The White Bird Marked with Black (1971), dir. Yu. Illienko, starring I. Mykolaychuk
- The Forest Song: Mavka (1981), dir. Yu. Illienko, starring I. Mykolaychuk
- The Legend of Princess Olga (1983), dir. Yu. Illienko, starring I. Mykolaychuk
- Babylon – ХХ (1979), dir. I. Mykolaychuk
- Swan Lake: The Zone (1990), dir. Yu. Illienko
- A Prayer of Hetman Mazepa (2002), dir. Yu. Illienko
- Commissars (1970), dir. M. Maschenko, starring I. Mykolaychuk
The schedule of screenings can be found on the web-site of the Inoteatr Cinema: http://inotheatre.od.ua/raspisanie/
Yuriy Illienko and Ivan Mykolaychuk are iconic representatives of the indigenous school of “Ukrainian Poetic Film”, whose talented colourful works are well-known in the cinematic circles of the world. Illienko and Mykolaychuk worked together a lot, and their filmographies often overlap (Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors, The White Bird Marked with Black, To Dream and Live, The Legend of Princess Olga, The Forest Song. Mavka). Yuriy Illienko and Ivan Mykolaychuk belonged to the same generation, were kindred spirits and friends. They were united even by the date of June 15. On this day in 1941 Ivan Mykolaychuk was born, and on the same day in 2010 Yuriy Illienko passed away – on May 9, 2016, he would have turned 80.
Retrospective screenings will be held in celebration of the 80th anniversary of the famous Ukrainian film director Yuriy Illienko and the 75th anniversary of the equally famous Ukrainian actor and director Ivan Mykolaychuk.
June 25 - 30. Daily at 20:00
Venue: Inoteatr Cinema (Odesa, 33 Frantsuzkyi Blvd., Odesa Film Studio)